For the upcoming school year 2022-2023, Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School, leaders in digital learning, today announced the official launch of Mapúa Malayan Digital College (MMDC), a new college focused on technology and business. MMDC is an affordable digital-first offering that delivers a cutting-edge online curriculum and offline experiences designed for the modern Filipino student. It also harnesses the academic excellence and heritage of Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School, of which it is a subsidiary.
“Mapúa Malayan Digital College was created with today’s students’ needs in mind,” said Derrick Latreille, Chief Learning Officer of MMDC and Co-founder of Ayala Education. “Through a series of in-depth interviews, we’ve determined critical factors for students and parents when deciding to choose a college: the reputation of the school, close proximity to their homes, affordability, and an experience that will help them get the career they want. Mapúa Malayan Digital College will be fulfilling all these through its unique student experience.”
Interviews, as well as recent surveys conducted by MMDC through Acumen, Insight Asia, and TheNerve, showed available courses, tuition fees, and school reputation rank highest in terms of students’ priorities in choosing a college. In addition, while students are becoming more open to the combination of online and face-to-face learning, they still continue to value community and opportunities for socialization.
Digital Learning and Offline Spaces for Modern Needs
MMDC has created a learning model that directly answers students’ needs and wants. Its unique offering prioritizes the following aspects of learning and student life:
- Courses for Employability: MMDC focuses on areas that are in-demand by both students and industry: technology and business. Specializations in Information Technology include Data Analytics, Software Development, and Network and Cybersecurity. Meanwhile, specializations in the Business Administration major include Marketing Management, Operations Management, and Human Resource Management. These degrees are designed by instructional design professionals who have experience in academe as well as the workforce. The Business Administration degree is offered by MMDC through CHED’s memorandum on the implementation of flexible learning.
- Curriculum for the Real World: MMDC helps students develop not just technical skills but also soft skills (such as critical thinking, leadership, creativity, analysis, and collaboration). Students will learn through MMDC’s Projects, Problems and Cases (PPC) model, which emphasizes real-world applications and evaluates students on their output, and not on traditional testing methods. In addition, the MMDC curriculum will also include content from international educational providers, such as Coursera.
- Learning Hubs, at Convenient Locations, for Student Collaboration: MMDC will provide modern collaboration spaces where students can meet, do focused work, collaborate on group projects, organize clubs, and more. MMDC’s first two Learning Hubs will be located at Ayala Malls Cloverleaf (Quezon City) and Ayala Malls Capitol Central (Bacolod City).
- Tech Tools to Power Learning: MMDC can provide each student their own laptop and pocket Wi-Fi, as well as access to the Learning Hub and Student Services to assist with all their connectivity needs.
- Flexible Learning for Modern Students’ Needs: MMDC’s required class meeting times clock in at approximately 7.5 hours a week of synchronous learning, made available with both early and late day schedules. This gives students more control of their time and allows them to balance academics, hobbies, family life, and social life. This set-up also allows flexibility for the working adult who wants to complete their college degree.
- Affordable Fees: MMDC introduces a Pioneer Scholarship where the first 750 enrolled students will be granted up to PHP20,000 discount on tuition fee. With this partial discount, enrollment fee for a full year can be as low as PHP58,000. Slot reservation starts March 1, 2022.
Mapúa Malayan Excellence with Future-Proof Education
The Mapúa Malayan legacy began in 1925 with the establishment of the Mapúa Institute of Technology. The brand expanded with the opening of Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School (MCL) in 2007, as well as the opening of Malayan Colleges Mindanao, A Mapúa School (MCM) in 2018. MCL has garnered a number of accolades: an overall rating of 3 QS stars, with 5 stars for employability, 4 stars for facilities, and 3 stars for social responsibility and inclusiveness. The college is also ISO 9001:2015 certified and has been granted autonomous status by the Commission on Higher Education, enabling the institution to create programs as needed by students.
With the introduction of Mapúa Malayan Digital College, the legacy of quality education continues. “Mapúa University has always been at the forefront of innovation, and Mapúa Malayan Digital College is our latest proof of this. MMDC is also one of our efforts to address the need to provide affordable quality education to more students nationwide through a new approach that directly addresses the challenges faced by Filipino students,” said Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea, President and CEO of the Mapúa University.
“By creating a college that prepares them for the real world; develops soft skills like critical thinking, leadership, and empathy; uses digital learning in a more meaningful way; and provides students with the technology that they need, we ultimately produce graduates who are citizens that can contribute to a better country,” said Dr. Dodjie Maestrecampo, President of Malayan Colleges Laguna and Mindanao, Mapúa Schools.
Mapúa Malayan Digital College is now accepting BS Information Technology and BS Business Administration freshmen for the 2022-2023 school year. Students may inquire or apply by visiting www.mmdc.mcl.edu.ph.