Wizards of the Coast (headquartered in Renton, Washington, United States; Chris Cocks, CEO), a global game company that produces and markets Magic: The Gathering (“Magic” below), the original strategy trading card game with more than 40 million players and fans worldwide, announced that along with the release of its new set “Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty,” the “Magic: The Gathering Virtual Art Exhibition – 83 Artists who Drew the World of Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty” will be open to the public from 18 February 2022. The exhibition will allow viewers to experience the wonderful art of Magic – one of its strengths – with a new VR viewing experience. This exhibition can also be enjoyed on a PC (Windows only) at https://mtg-kamigawa-vr.art.
The VR Exhibition will be available in selected Asian countries (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand) in WPN (Wizards Play Network) stores from 18 to 24 February 2022 (store opening hours apply). Events technology company One World Rental is the VR hardware partner for the exhibition.
Images are of the exhibition in development and may change.
An interactive art exhibition in VR for fans around the world to enjoy from home
In conjunction with the release of the new Magic: The Gathering set “Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty” on Friday, February 18th, the “Magic: The Gathering Virtual Art Exhibition – 83 Artists who Drew the World of Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty” will start the same day. It will be an interactive art exhibition that allows viewers to actively enjoy the art through VR and gameplay elements. One can enjoy the experience of going around the exhibition while talking with other participants around the world remotely from home via PC or VR device. The exhibition, a new kind of sensation allowing you to fully experience the world of the new set “Kamigawa Neon Dynasty,” will continue until 24 February. Take this opportunity to experience a new type of art exhibition for the VR age.
134 pieces by Tetsuo Hara of “Fist of the North Star,” Yoji Shinkawa, Katsuya Terada, and others
The art exhibition will feature card art from “Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty,” drawn by 83 artists – mostly from Japan. Among the works on display will be cards drawn by Tetsuo Hara of “Fist of the North Star” fame, Yoji Shinkawa(Art Director KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS Co., Ltd. ), and Katsuya Terada(the character designer of “Kamen Rider W” ). This exhibition not only allows you to enjoy the world of Magic and card art through VR, but also has various tricks. For instance, your avatar will evolve according to the cards you get and depending on how successful you are at capturing them. Also, special content such as 3D characters appearing from cards; characters appear to multiple people at one time for a shared experience; and photos can be taken.
About the “Magic: The Gathering Virtual Art Exhibition”
The exhibition will feature 134 pieces of card art by 83 artists. Visitors will witness the beauty and power of Magic art as well as enjoy five different content features that will allow them to enjoy the Magic world on a deeper level.
- Into the card art Enjoy the fusion of Japanese mythology and technology in the world of Kamigawa – 1200 years have passed since we last visited this plane. Descend into the concept art of Towashi and the Boseiju. View the exhibition in an urban setting that expands around you.
- Viewing experience evolves in a virtual world In a new art viewing experience, take the art in your hand and pull it toward you. You will see commentary by the artist him or herself, behind-the-scenes rough sketches, and a card that you can hold in your hand and gaze upon right in front of you.
- A 3D Experience that Brings Life to the Artwork The world and story inside the card is released by the power of the player in this special virtual experience. You can summon the legendary Dragon Spirit depicted on the cards right before your eyes.
- First Public Release of Artwork from World Guide For the first time, see over 30 items of unpublished material from the Wizards of the Coast Development Studio World Guide. This is sure to be an exhibition that fans will savor.
- A community gathering in the Magic world In the “Octagonal Pavilion”, you can gather a variety of Magic-related information. Whether you are a new player or a long-time fan, you can come together here interact with each other.
Images are of the exhibition under development and may change.
Promotional campaign information
Five winners will receive a B2 size poster signed by Tetsuo Hara!
Five winners will be chosen at random from those who view all 134 artworks in the “Magic: The Gathering Virtual Art Exhibition -Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty-” to receive a B2 size poster autographed by Tetsuo Hara, artist of “Fist of the North Star”.
Entry period: February 18 to February 24 (through the end of the virtual art exhibition)
Entry requirements: View all 134 cards during the above period. After viewing them, please fill out the necessary information on the form at the special campaign website.
How to enter: Your entry is complete once you have filled out and submitted the form above. Note: only winners will be contacted by the organizers.
Please check the special campaign site for details. (https://mtg-kamigawa-vr.art)
About the new set Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty is the newest set for the world’s oldest and best trading card game, Magic: The Gathering (MTG). Set to release on 18 February 2022 for tabletop, the set is a bright, futuristic take on the original feudal Japan-inspired Kamigawa setting. Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty will be available in regular Draft Boosters, Theme Boosters, Collector Boosters, Set Boosters, as well as the Neon Dynasty Bundle and two Commander decks.
- Official release date: February 18, 2022
- Pre-release: February 11-17, 2022
For more information on Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, view the official cinematic trailer, or visit https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/kamigawa-neon-dynasty. Catch up on the latest updates on https://www.facebook.com/MagicTheGathering.apac.